As a programmer, what tasks have you automated to make your everyday life easier? by @rajani_tanmay
Answer by Tanmay Rajani:
Ah! This is something I do on a regular basis. I always look forward to find a way to automate things which I have to/want to do but are repetitive in nature.
Let’s start with newest first!
- April 2017: I’ve been addicted to StackOverflow platform lately. I've recently built a Messenger ChatBot that sends unread StackOverflow inbox and reputation changes to you.
Motivation was to avoid needing to open app / website even now and then (from phone / desktop) to see whether your question got answered or answer got upvoted / accepted or whether someone replied to your question / answer.
Stackb0tis live at ( )
- March 2017: At work, most of us need to fill timesheets on a regular basis. So, I built a timesheet filler script using a high-level browser automation library called. Though, script was meant for a particular timesheet webapp only (available on my GitHub tho!)
- October 2016: I am a movie buff. I watch plenty of movies. But I had to google it (and than IMDb and all) every time I wanted to know about a movie.
Solution? My first chatbot,
Cinephi1e, it suggests movies, provides plot summary.. things like that. It uses a combination of and APIs to interact with you.
Cinephi1eis live at ( )
- 2015: I used to follow a daily blog named. They used to post an image of the day which used to blow my mind everyday. So, I used to download the image almost everyday and have it as my desktop wallpaper. But, duh! That’s so boring and damn repetitive, no?
Solution: Built a NodeJS app that scraps the blog, gets the image of the day and puts it into a Google Drive folder everyday.
Next, I pointed my wallpaper directory on windows to this drive folder and boom! I had image of the day in my wallpaper rotation 🙂
Though, my app is currently inactive, but here’s theit made during those days. And, .
Also, one of my friends created Aout the images collection.
- 2014: There was a time, I was so addicted to Quora. I wanted to download some answers on my machine. So, I had built a chrome extension,, to have a download button on each answer/blog post we see on Quora.
One of my friends had made a.
Answering again on Quora after long today.. Might have lost my charm 😀
Anyway, good to share my stuff which could be helpful to others.